Wednesday, August 13, 2008

MANGOES in my farm


JUNE 2008

CARABAO MANGOES
in Suclayin, Arayat

When we bought the farm in 2004, we were attracted by the 18 mango trees surrounding the area. People are even telling that the trees are more than 30 years old. It was so shady that even grass does not grow at the center of the farm. Sad news is, almost 70% does not bear fruits.

When I got involved with BPN, I started the rehabilitation of the trees.
First, we did the pruning, even big branches were knockdown to give room for more air and sunlight. But, it did not help, so we decided to eliminate 4 big trees to let sunlight enter the plantation.

We reinforced nutrition by spraying BPN during the flower induction, dosage is 1 gal/per 210 ltr of water.

When the trees turn yellow because of flowers, I become more excited about BPN. It also add to my belief that proper farm management is the answer to neglected many mango orchards in the neighborhood.


I also met a group from Sta. Rosa, Nueva Ecija whose main business is
mango spraying with territories covering Nueva Ecija, Arayat, and Magalang.

They took care of the spraying last
February 17, 2008. I was fully satisfied with the results.

































Shown on right are fruits of our mango farm harvested last June 2008.

No comments: