Friday, August 22, 2008

OFW Red Lady- Romie Austria Farm


September 12, 2008



Typhoon Marce was seen today in Cagayan and rainshowers is all over Central Luzon.

When I received Romie's call to visit again the red lady in the upland, I did not hesitate to welcome his invitation.

As early as 6:45 a.m., Sept. 12, 2008, I was already at the gate of Romie's house in Bitas, ready to climb the upland.

The path going to the upland is dangerous, wet and so slippery so we carefully watch our every steps while climbing.

I was overjoyed when I see how healthy are the red lady's. The papaya is even 3 to 4 times bigger compared to the previous visit at the upland.

Romie told me that the annual rainfall, soil, sediments and minerals pouring down the mountain makes the slope of the mountain very fertile.




He also added that after 3 weeks, the
crop shall be at our chest level and the field will be totally covered by green leaves of red lady papaya.

Romie's farm is now an envy for the upland people. Two farmers already requested me to provide them 2,000 seedlings of red lady for them to cultivate.




































































































































































































RED LADY OF ROMIE AUSTRIA



Romie is the key to the upland people of Bitas. His vision of helping his people to accept changes serves as his inspiration to proceed the planting of the Red Lady Papaya.

The first 5 grams package of seeds of red lady's he sown for germination were destroyed by typhoon that is why, his timetable of planting was altered.

I did take care the germination of the next batch in my farm in Arayat. I suspect that the seedlings germinated in their place does not receive enough oxygen that is why, seedlings desiccate during the growth period.

After the typhoon Igme, Romie pick up the papaya seedlings in my place to start the transplanting in the upland.

As of my visit in the upland last August 22, approx. more than 500 papaya seedlings were already transplanted by Romie.

By next week, the final planting will be finished.

Shown on the pictures are one week old transplanted papayas.















No comments: